The RedHouse building was built way back in 1878 and served as the vicarage of St Dunstan’s Church in London Road Canterbury.
It was then sold to Kings School Canterbury in which the Dean lived in as his residence.
It was later used as a boarding lodge for the Kings School boys. We are reliable informed by a former pupil who spent some time here that it was known as Riversleigh House. An intermediate House for young students before they mixed with the big boys at the main residence at Kings School Campus!
Sometime in the late 40’s it was sold to a Mr & Mrs Green who turned it into a B&B and ran it for approximately 32 years.
Alan Calverley and Bob Tuppeny bought it in February 1979 and turned it into a hotel and ran it for about 4 years. They sold it to Mr & Mrs Stan Martin who ran it as a hotel before selling to the current owner Mrs Morton in August 1986.
Mrs Morton who is a fully qualified nurse turned it into a nursing home, starting off with one nurse and one resident.
A substantial extension was later added in 1990 to increase the capacity to 31 beds.